Monday, February 21, 2011

Leila Belle Griffith, January 25,2011

We have had a lot of happy things in our family lately, but we experienced a sad tragedy in January.  Justin and Mega were so excited to be expecting a baby girl in June, but on January 25th, Mega went into labor at 20 weeks.  Little Leila Belle was born at home and was just too small and early to survive.  The paramedics arrived shortly after her birth and tried to save her, but she was just too little.  She took a few breaths and then passed away. Justin, Mega, and Mia were heartbroken as were all of their loved ones.

I was able to get on a flight that same day and spent a week with them.  It was so good to be there with them.  I helped with Mia and did a few things around the house, and just tried to offer support.  It was a very sad week for all of us, but especially for that sweet little family.

On Saturday, we had a little graveside service to say our goodbyes to little Leila Belle.  She was a beautiful little baby girl, perfectly formed and laid to rest in a pretty little white satin dress that another mother who had a similar experience had made for them.  The service was very special.  Ali's dad, Don Lindberg, and I spoke about eternal families and the plan of salvation. We all sang "Families Can Be Together Forever" and there was a beautiful violin solo of "God Be With You Til We Meet Again."  Justin and Mega recently moved and their new Bishop (Webb) gave the opening prayer and their old Bishop (Long) gave the grave dedication prayer.  I thought my heart was going to break.  I'm so grateful to know that we will see little Leila again and be together with her eternally.

Mia is such a delightful little girl.  I enjoyed her so much.  What a blessing she is to Mega and Justin.
She and I created this flower poster for her hundred day celebration in her Kindergarten class.  We glued 100 sweet tart candy centers onto these beautiful flowers that Mia drew!  She is quite a little artist!

Just hanging out.  The ward members brought in dinner most of the nights that I was there.  There was such an outpouring of love and compassion.  I stayed a week and then had to leave them.  It was hard to go.  I know they will have sad, aching hearts for a long time, but I know that through our Savior's love, they can be comforted and know that everything will be all right.  We love you guys!

2 comments:

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

We feel sadness and hope for eternal life. Thank you, Susan, for being there at the time they needed you most.

Love, Mike

Cierra said...

i am so sorry for their tragedy but it is so very comforting to know the plan of salvation. and how wonderful that you could be there in the time of need to comfort and help out.