Our friends, Janice and Cal Simmons, whom we met in Longmont when they moved there for a short time, have moved to St. George. Janice asks often when we can come visit them, so we freed up a weekend and headed south for a little getaway. We stopped on the way down on Friday, the 7th, in Cedar City for lunch at Pork Belly's. It sounded good and got good reviews in my google search. It was really good. We each had pulled pork sandwiches with swiss and american cheese, grilled on sourdough bread encrusted with parmesan cheese. It really was as good as it sounded. They had amazing bbq sauce as well and their sweet potato waffle fries were delicious.
Once we arrived at the Simmons, got unpacked and visited for a few minutes, we headed out on a hike with Janice and Cal to the Red Reef Trail to the north of where they live in Washington (which is just north of St. George). It was a warm day, but it was late in the afternoon and there was a good strong breeze so it was a really pleasant hike. We were hoping to see a couple of small waterfalls but the city or county are managing the water flow and the water wasn't coming down.
I had set my phone alarm for about 4:55 so that at 5:00 exactly, I could get onto www.recreation.org/zionshuttletickets to try and get us tickets for the shuttle on Friday. I tried to get them before we came down but wasn't successful. It's a lottery system and you have to be lucky and time it perfectly to get tickets. Well, the cell service where we were hiking was really patchy. When my alarm went off, I quickly looked for a place where I could get service. I was really nervous and saying little prayers for help. I found a spot, logged in, and got us four tickets for 11:00 on Friday! I felt really blessed and so happy. We hadn't been to Zion since a Brady family reunion many years ago.
We continued our hike and explored this wonderful canyon. We found some petroglyphs, and some Mojo marbles.
![]() |
| Mojo Marbles |
![]() |
| I just thought these footprints in this red sand was cool! |
![]() |
| A camouflaged lizard |
After the hike, we had a yummy dinner at Viva Chicken (a Peruvian semi-fast food place). Then we drove downtown St. George to get cupcakes at Twenty Fifth and Main. (Cindi recommended it and said if you go there after 7 pm, the cupcakes are $1 off.) They didn't have much variety left but we did manage to get 3 (two chocolate with vanilla frosting and one chocolate with peanut butter! We took them to Kathy Kinney's and had a nice visit with her and her son Aaron and his wife, Becca, and one of their daughters. The Simmons were going to drop us off but ended up staying and we all had a really nice visit. We split up the cupcakes and had them with ice cream. Perfect ending of a perfect day.
![]() |
| This was the cupcake I hoped to find, but the ones we got were delicious too! |





























No comments:
Post a Comment