Sunday, May 24, 2020

Tender Mercies and Migraines, May 18-24, 2020



Eric, Bait and I had our beautiful Saturday walk yesterday on the Jordan River Trail going south from Eric's apartment.  It was a breezy, cooler day in the 50's which was perfect walking weather.  We have had some crazy winds around here lately and the temps have been cooler, almost cold! These are the last couple days of that though.  By the end of this week it's supposed to be in the 90's!  Ready or not, here comes summer!

We were walking along the path which is just like this picture, away from neighborhoods and civilization.  Eric runs this route sometimes with Bait so he knows the ins and outs of it.  It was so beautiful!  He took us off the path onto a street after about a mile and a half of walking.  We were nearing a busy road and I was beginning to get the start of a migraine headache.  Some history on that; about twice a year out of nowhere I start getting what I call a circle of lights in my vision.  It comes on quickly and if I can do this one little trick really fast, I can head it off and avoid the pending headache.  The trick is a caffeine soda and 3 Advil.  Works like a charm and is very fast.  If I don't do it quick enough though, I get a really killer headache and it pretty much wrecks my whole day!

We were a couple of miles from Eric's apartment and my circle of lights was getting worse.  I hadn't mentioned it to Eric at this point but was trying to think how I could solve this dilemna.  I started silently praying for help. There was a neighborhood ahead which Eric hadn't ever run through because it had a sign that said No Outlet, meaning you have to come out the same way you go in and can't connect to a main road by going through the neighborhood.  For some reason, we chose to go into that neighborhood.  We were winding through it when I told Eric about my little problem.  Just as I told him, a man and his son came out of their garage and immediately Eric suggested we ask them if they had what I needed.  We asked them, and they had a Dr. Pepper and the Advil.  I drank the soda, took the pills and thanked them profusely for saving my day!  As we continued to walk, my symptoms quickly went away.

This is exactly what I call a tender mercy!  If we hadn't gone into that neighborhood when we did, I probably would have gotten a severe headache and would have had to walk back or take an Uber to Eric's feeling horrible and needing to take a nap in a dark room until it passed.  I know God is aware of me and takes care of me every day in little and small ways.  I'm grateful for tender mercies in my life and to know from whence all my blessings flow!

Some beautiful flowers on a tree on our walk.

Eric noticed that all the leaves on this tree are heart-shaped!  Aaaah!

After our walk, I was feeling fine, so we stopped and walked through Gardner Village which is next door to where Eric lives.  It's a fun quaint little village of old homes that have been converted into stores.  They were having a Woodland Fairy event so there were lots of little people with fairy wings and fairy gardens all over.  It was a fun stop off and we got some delicious fudge while we were there.  It's fun to have things starting to open up!

Did you know that when people get older they start putting 's on names of things, like Gardner's Village instead of Gardner Village?  I called it Gardner's Village and Eric thought that was so funny.  I guess I'm getting old.  Another is like calling Walmart, Walmart's.






We got a hot tub this week!  We are beyond happy and loving every minute of soaking in it so far!  I have wanted one for a long time and of course the kids always say we should get one, but Mike hasn't ever been a huge fan. Well, something changed his mind and he started suggesting we get one and bam, just like that we have one sitting in our back yard.  We used our tax return and stimulus money to pay for it.  We feel like it will help all of our mental and physical well-beings!

We had an opening night christening party with Hannah, Chase and Eric complete with Martinelli's.  I called it a little bubbly in the bubbly!




On a final note, our chickens are growing fast!  We hope to be getting eggs before too long.  We let them out every couple of days to wander around the yard.  It's so funny how they always stick together in a little flock.  They are getting pretty good at letting Violet hang around with them.  They don't seem to be scared of her.  I guess because she's not much bigger than them.  They have a funny little relationship with Addie too.  She wanders around with them and if she gets too close, they give her a little peck and she gets right back in line!  Nature works itself out!




One more thing!  This week the Brady Sibling's ate pizza for our Saturday takeout.  We got Papa's Favorite from Papa Murphy's.  It was delicious.  Everyone got yummy one's except Nancy and Dale couldn't get any where they live.  Apparently, since it's a small town, you have to get your order in by 11 am or you don't get one if you want pizza on Saturday! They ended up getting spaghetti takeout. Also, Kathy and Keith had theirs on Friday and had Red Lobster last night!  Sort of jealous of that one! 


More stuff is opening up this week!  Cindi and I went to Marshall's on Thursday which was their first day of being back open.  It was fun.  I wore my mask.  Still uncertain what's going to happen and if the virus will spike again.  The next few weeks are sure to tell!


No comments: