Tuesday, June 20, 2017

May 2017 Adventures Part 2, Florence AL

We kissed our cute Mississippians goodbye and hit the road in Kathy's Mazda headed for Alabama.  It's only about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Oxford to my and Kathy's birthplace in Florence, Alabama.  I hadn't been back since we left there when I was 7 years old in 1965!  I don't have many memories of living there, but it was good to see our house on Shade Avenue, Harlan Elementary School where I attended K-2, and the Eliza Coffee Hospital where I was born.







We were informed from some of our online research that we should eat at this hole in the wall hot dog place (above) and get ice cream at Trowbridge's.  We ran into these cute missionaries while we were getting ice cream and treated them to some ice cream as well.  One of them was being transferred the next day so they had to get one last ice cream before he left!  We were told to get the orange pineapple and it didn't disappoint!


The beautiful tree-lined streets heading towards the hospital.  Florence is a beautiful little city!




We found this wonderful park that ran along the Tennessee River called McFarland Park and enjoyed a few minutes of peace and quiet before venturing on.




We also heard about this wonderful old Railroad Bridge so we stopped by to see it before we hit the road for Clarksville, TN.




I'm so glad we visited Florence.  It's a wonderful place to be from!


No comments: