Nancy and Dale had their family reunion with their kids and their families in St. George and then came to stay with us for several fun-filled days afterwards! They are still here as of this writing and we have been having a blast! We love any time we can spend with them anywhere, anytime!
They arrived last Sunday, July 25th and came straight to Eric's house for our Sunday dinner rotation with him, us and Hannah's family. Eric made a delicious dinner and we visited for a while and then Nancy, Eric and I went for a walk to the lake. It was a beautiful evening. I love how glowy the temple looks in these pictures!
Monday, we stayed around the house in the morning and did some laundry, had cheese and tomato (from the garden) sandwiches, then Nancy and I went to Costco for a few things. That evening, we had dinner at Texas Roadhouse and then saw the musical, Footloose, at the Sundance summer theater (put on by students from UVU). It was outstanding and we were on the front row right in the center! So fun!
Tuesday, we were so blessed to get to go to the Jordan River Temple. It was all or our's first time back since before Covid. Dale suggested it on Monday and I was pretty sure we wouldn't be able to get a reservation, but I checked several temples and Jordan River actually had a lot of openings. So happy we checked.
We had lunch at J Dawgs which is always a win, then Nancy and I had a little girls day out. We went to some of my favorite places in Lehi including Rod Works, Pioneer Party, Haws Floral, Called to Surf and Harmon's (I wanted her to see this pretty and yummy grocery store). I still have to find out where all the fun stores are but these were good for now. We had grilled Halibut for dinner and then went to the Megaplex at Thanksgiving Point for $5 Tuesday movie night and saw, "Old." It wasn't very good but we still had fun going to the movies! One of our favorite things to do!
Wednesday, July 28th, was Mike and my's 31st anniversary! I thought it would be fun to go to Park City and rent e-bikes (electric bikes) and ride all over Park City. We got up there and were practicing a little around the square by the rental shop and Nancy's bike jerked forward and threw her off. It was a freak accident but it did her in for the day and she was pretty sore the rest of their time here. It was really sad. She thinks she tore her hamstring, plus banged up her hip, both knees, elbows and even knocked one of her shoes off! She insisted that we three still go ahead and she rested at a restaurant where a very nice waiter took care of her and kept her happy with drinks (Diet Cokes) while we were gone.
We rode on the Rail Trail up to Deer Valley to some pretty ponds and then down towards Kimball Junction. It was a lot of fun. The bikes were really zippy and a little scary but super fun. We got caught in a downpour (for which we were very grateful--for the rain) and took shelter in a tunnel on the bike path. We thought it was letting up enough to go on so we ventured out and it started pouring again so we took cover under the next tunnel--thank heavens for the tunnels. When it let up a bit more, we made a beeline back to the rental shop. We were pretty wet but it sure was a fun adventure. We were all so sorry that Nancy missed it, but grateful she was so kind to encourage us to go ahead.
Thursday and Friday were scheduled for Nancy and Dale to spend with Dale's brother Larry and his wife Wendy. Nancy wasn't doing so great so she spent most of the day recouping here at our house while Dale golfed with his brother. She went to dinner with them and also spent the afternoon and evening with them on Friday. They got to see the Sound of Music at the Orem Hale Theater (we had gone with the Prestwiches and Hannah and Chase about a month ago). They loved it!
Cierra and Alfredo went to Bear Lake with some of his family and on the way back stopped and visited with Todd and Kimiko and their boys. Todd and Cierra were best buddies when they were little kids and this was the first time in a really long time that they had seen each other! Such cute families!
Saturday night, we watched the movie, "Footloose," at home and Meggy and I worked on her puzzle. Our granddaughter, Meggy, is living with us for a month before moving back into her apartment in Provo. We are so happy to have her here!
While Nancy and Dale were gone on Thursday evening, Mike and I met up with our Brazil senior missionary buddies, the Anderson's and the Barrett's and we had a fun outing up Big Cottonwood Canyon and over Guardsman Pass into Midway and Heber. We stopped and got cheese curds in Midway and then had dinner at the Back 40 restaurant in Heber and Culver's for dessert.
Saturday was the Salt Lake Parade of Homes! Nancy, Dale and I went. Mike opted out to rest his feet. It was a great day, we saw a lot of gorgeous homes, got Swig, and had Cafe Rio for dinner! Win, win, win!
Sunday, we went to church, Mike and I taught our class and Nancy and Dale went to the adult Gospel Doctrine class. Nancy said that it was the best Sunday School class she has ever been to! Athol Howden was the teacher. He's from South Africa and has a wonderful accent. He's an excellent teacher and I'm glad they enjoyed his class. Our class went well too! I shared a picture that I have loved since Tyler's mission where he was promised that angels would be on his left hand and his right hand and before him to protect him. (D&C 84:88) We talked about how the Lord keeps his promises and loves to bless us. I want them to know that the gospel is one of love and that it's about following the Savior and being like Him and serving others. It's a gospel of love and not of fear or guilt. I hope that we can help to instill that into them with the help of the Holy Ghost. If we can do that, then I feel we will be successful teachers!
Sunday afternoon, we had naps and then we had a family dinner. Todd's family, Hannah's family, Eric, Meggy and Avalon (Nancy and Dale's granddaughter) came and joined us. We had London Broil, baked potatoes, Fumi Salad, corn on the cob, bread with dipping sauce and chips and homemade salsa (from Kimiko). We had a delicious Texas Sheet Cake for dessert that one of the girls (Kynsie Beddes) from our Sunday School class made as a fund raiser. It was a delicious dinner and everyone had such a nice time visiting and the little kids had a blast playing with our toys and outside in the backyard! Dale did some magic that's always a treat!
After some of the group went home, we watched "What About Bob," one of our family favs and all had a good laugh. Todd and Kimiko and their boys stayed overnight which is always a treat!
On Monday, (Dale and Nancy's last day), we had a really nice rain and it was a cooler day! We had lunch at Zupa's. I think because it was a cooler day, Zupas ran out of 3 of their top selling soups! Weird, but we still enjoyed a good lunch! Afterwards, Nancy, Kimiko and I went to Sandy and shopped at Nordstrom Rack and Home Goods. Todd and Mike took the boys home and Todd took them in the hot tub. Dale golfed again with his brother. Miraculously, they didn't get rained on.
We had Slim Chickens for dinner, which unfortunately wasn't very good, Handel's Ice Cream for dessert, which fortunately was very good and then the boys and Todd played some basketball and we set up some lawn chairs in the driveway and watched them! So cute to watch these little mini basketball players! We had a fire in the firepit to end up the evening. Todd's family stayed over again so that was an extra treat!
Unfortunately, all good things eventually come to an end and we had to say so long for now to Todd's family and to Nancy and Dale. We don't have our next adventure with them planned, but I know it will be great and I look forward to seeing them again soon! That's what makes saying goodbye easier to take! ;)































No comments:
Post a Comment