Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lake Tahoe, Part 2, August 2012

We started our trip back to Colorado from Sonoma, but decided to stop for the first night back at Paul and Joni's house, via Lake Tahoe's Emerald Bay.  I just couldn't get enough of the beauty here.  I had my heart set on kayaking out to the little island in the bay, so Mike was a good sport and let me have my fun.  We hiked down the steep hill to the bottom and I rented my Kayak.  I rowed out to the island and walked around a little bit, then headed back to shore.  It was so much fun~!




This house is called Vikingsholm and it was built in this cove in 1928-1929. 
The foundation was laid in the late summer of 1928. In the spring of 1929, more than 200 highly skilled workmen were bought to Emerald Bay and housed in temporary barracks on the property. They worked diligently throughout the summer and by the end of the season the house was completed. During those months of 1929, the timbers were hand hewn, the interior wall boards were hand planed, intricate wood carvings were executed, and metal fixtures (such as fireplace screens, hinges, and latches) were hand forged - all at the site.  This was an incredible undertaking consider the location and the date we are talking about.  Mrs. Lara Knight had the house built and had a cute little castle built on the small island offshore so she could take her summer guests out there for tea parties.  I found this all very amazing! (Infomation taken from an internet article I found).


Taken from the little island.  I was glad I wasn't in the water when the steamboat passed.  It could have been a little too wavy for me.


Looking out the window of the little castle on the island.


Heading back to shore.

I really loved this.  I think I could be a kayaker!

After we left the lake, we went back to Paul and Joni's and spent the night with them and their cute girls. We drove about 8 hours the next day and arrived back at Tyler and Jaimee's where we spent the night with them and their little Sophie.  We were hoping that they would have had their new baby by then, but no such luck.  We left the next morning for home.  Our Empty Nest Adventure had come to an end.  It was a long trip, but a super fun one.  I think it really helped to ease us into our empty nest.

2 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

we did the same thing but with paddle boats, thanks for the idea, it really is such a beautiful place.

Paul

The Nannie Family said...

That is really a beautiful place.