Monday, October 2, 2017

Week #10, Sao Paulo, September 25 - October 1, 2017

First of all, my heart is breaking for the horrible shootings that occurred Sunday night in Las Vegas.  I am so sad that our world is such a scary place and I wish I could hold all of my kids, grandkids, and friends close to me and protect them from all of it.  We have to cherish one another and love one another and pray for God's love to give us peace in these troubled times.  Hold your families close and treasure them!

The weeks are going by faster and faster and we are getting busier and busier!  Here's a recap of the past week;  we sang in the ward choir, Come Follow Me, in Portuguese, Mike gave the Monday morning devotional for our floor at the Area Office on being a strong link in your family chain (in Portuguese), had a wonderful FHE/birthday party for Tom Harris with a potluck dinner afterwards, got to go furniture shopping at a place called Tok n Stok, which is like IKEA (so fun), practiced for our Portuguese language class's movie presentation of "Moses," had friends over for conference, crocheted baby beanies to donate to a local hospital, watched conference, loved every minute of it, felt happy, peaceful, and ready to serve others to a greater extent when it was over!  Wonderful week in Sao Paulo, Brazil!
Fun game guessing what things people have done in their lives that nobody would think you did!

Elder Holland talking live from Salt Lake City.  So blessed to have modern technology!  Some of the beanies we created.
Sisters in the gospel, Marilyn Anderson and I

I'm becoming a Brazilian! I know already I'm going to miss the fresh produce here when we leave.
Our buddies, Ray and Marilyn.  So happy their internet went out so they "had" to watch conference with us.
It's October, one of my favorite months of the year!  We don't have a lot of decorations, but there's always something you can do to bring in the spirit of each season!

 
Like I said before, I loved watching conference.  For my non-Mormon friends who are reading this, General Conference is when our church leaders speak to us from Salt Lake City, Utah in a live broadcast that goes all over the world.  It's two days, twice a year with five 2 hour sessions, (plus the women's broadcast the weekend before), of getting to hear precious words of wisdom and counsel from our dear Prophet and Apostles and other church leaders. This year our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, who turned 90 earlier this year wasn't able to attend due to health issues as well as Robert D. Hales, who was in the hospital and actually passed away shortly after the Sunday morning session was over.  We love these great leaders and the messages of this conference touched my heart more than I ever remember in the past.

The focus seemed to me to be on serving others, loving others, and following God and His plan for us.  In fact, it was stated that "following God and serving others is the only way back to God." (Pres. Eyring)
Some of the highlights for me were:
Elder Ellis--Hard is good! The best lessons are learned during the hard times.
Elder Hales wrote last week and was presented by Elder Anderson--"When we choose to have faith, we choose to stand in the presence of God. Our faith prepares us to be in the presence of the Lord."
Elder Koch--We need to be united!  God has said, "Be one or you are not mine."  Leave behind our differences, concentrate on our common directives.  "We have no right to portray anyone as a badly finished product."  Be kind!
Pres. Uchtdorf--Why should we follow the Savior?  "Life will be better!"  "God will use us to help make other people's lives better."
Bonnie Oscarson--Disasters bring out the best in people.  Serve others in our families, wards, communities.  "When we serve, we flourish, when we are self-centered, we shrivel."  Pray to know who needs you today and then go and serve them!

I could go on and on!  I was touched by all of the talks this conference.  I was sad to have it end. I can't wait to get to read and study them when they come out in the Ensign/Liahona.  I came away wanting to be a much better person.  I want to love more, serve others and God more, follow God more, forgive more, judge less and be happier as I seek to do these things!  I want to forgive myself more when I fall short of these goals and get back up and start over again.  I love God and my Savior, Jesus Christ, with all of my heart and want to be the person they see me as!

Love you all!  Have an amazing week!


No comments: