Sunday, April 5, 2009

Moore Spring Break!


We got Mom/Grandma all settled into her new place at Cinnamon Park. She has a lovely room with a corner window that has a view of the vegetable garden that will be sprouting soon.




She was welcomed with open arms by both the staff and the residents. They report each day that she is happy and has been really friendly and participates in all of the activities. So far she has been in a bell choir, played word games, watched Mama Mia, attended an ice cream social, helped decorate for Easter and even helped with some office paper work. Today she came over and had brunch and watched General Conference with us.



It was Eric and Hannah's Spring Break this week so we did a couple of fun things with them. We went to the Denver Aquarium and found out that it is a really great place!


The exhibits were really well done and they even had tigers!




Tigers might seem like an odd fit for an aquarium, but they have a huge waterfall and pool for them to play in. They actually like to swim. We didn't get to see them swimming, but we saw a DVD of it and it was fascinating!


Just a cute little fish swimming in a tank. We think it's a Cow Fish. Anybody know for sure?


I think we have a pretty decent camera!

Check out Eric's new hair cut. He looks pretty great! Little sister's pretty great too!



Another day we went to Estes Park and took the world famous "Ghost Tour" in the Stanley Hotel. It was sooooo scary!

We are smiling now, but this was the beginning of the tour. We ran from the place screaming in horror! It is the MOST HAUNTED HOTEL IN NORTH AMERICA!!! (proven on "Ghost Hunters.")

This is the 1898 Steinway Grand Piano that John Phillips Sousa tuned and that Mrs. Stanley plays at night. Many guests have reported the music playing in the middle of the night. They asked if anyone in our tour played the piano and Mike stepped up. They were surprised to say the least when he broke into a concerto! I think even old Mrs. Stanley liked it. She's been dead for quite some time now.


This is the room that Stephen King stayed in and received his inspiration for "The Shining." He reportedly saw two little kids playing up on the 4th floor when he and his wife were the only people staying in the hotel.

Jim Carrey stayed in this room----for about two hours. He went to the front desk and checked out saying that he would stay anywhere, even a Holiday Inn, but get him out of this Hotel. To this day, he supposedly won't talk about what happened in Room 217.



Room 418 is the most haunted room in the hotel.


This picture was taken in the "tunnel" underneath the Hotel. The tour guide asked everyone to take three flash pictures into this cave area. She said that everyone of them would come out different--some of them would have "orbs" and some would not. Eric took our three pictures and two of the three showed orbs--the little round ghost circles. He was dubbed the Orb Master by our "fun" tour guide (which is code for really scary.)



This is the Grand Staircase of the Stanley Hotel. Remember the end scene from "Dumb and Dumber?" It was actually filmed at this hotel on this staircase and in the bar and not in Aspen. Mrs. Stanley herself guided the tour after ours!



We made it out alive.....but where is Nancy????


The gorgeous view of the Rocky Mountains from the front porch of the Hotel.


The "Overlook Hotel" from "The Shining"


After that harrowing experience we had to do something to de-stress, so what better than chocolate at Laura's Fudge Shop? We had decadent chocolate, caramel apples, fudge, and pecan- caramel chocolate chip cookies!

Well, Spring Break is over for another year. It was the best Spring Break EVER!!! Just ask Eric and Hannah.

13 comments:

Vallente said...

WOW! How fun! And SCARY! I'm such a fraidy cat...don't know that I would have made it. :) Mima's room looks great and sounds fun for her. Give her some hugs and love from us! Love you!

Moore Family said...

Stuff like that hotel freaks me out, but part of me is curious to check it out. It's so huge and intimidating and The Shining was very scary. Glad you had a fund Spring Break.

Glen

The Nannie Family said...

Mom's room looks great and it sounds like she is enjoying herself.
Spring break stuff looked really fun. It's nice Nancy could share everything with you.
I like Eric's hair being shorter but sorry Eric I really dislike that style. We wnat to see the orb's on your photos. That's cool.
Devin's spring break is this week. The first one we won't spend with him.

Anonymous said...

Eric - your hair is awesome! Wait till Madison sees it! You guys know how to have fun, with the swimming tigers and floating orbs along for the ride. I know I'd be really scared by that tour - I believe in all that haunting stuff too much. I'm also happy the Jean is settled and happy in her new home. She's such a positive person!
Love,
Melecia

Cierra said...

I think I would have to agree about that being the best spring break "EVER"! So much fun and crazy adventures!

Looks like my momma got to enjoy herself with you guys...those apples look delish! And that hotel looks terrifying! I am REALLY REALLY curious now to know what happened when Jim Carrey stayed in that room. If I ever see him one day, I am going to ask him! :)

And Mima's place looks just wonderful! Thanks for the pictures so we can all get a feel for the place. It is so nice and looks just like a comfy home. The activities sound like fun! And I love the name too.

Love you guys!

Paul and Joni said...

Thats creepy stuff. You're gma's place looks really nice. Eric better be careful when he goes to visit because the old ladies might come after him. I always remember driving by that hotel but I didn't know it was haunted and had a tour.

Melissa said...

So much for a restful spring break...you guys were busy! Looks fun!
Mima's room is beautiful and cozy looking. Glad she's doing well--not surprised that she's fitting right in and being her fun cheerful self.
LOVE the new haircut Eric...and Hannah you are as beautiful as ever!!!
Love,
The MNBradys

Ryan and Ali said...

It looks like you guys had a very fun spring break! I want to visit that haunted house, I love getting scared. I've never seen Eric with his hair short, and I have to say that I really really like it!

Tyler and Jaimee said...

What a fun spring break! Are all those places in Denver or did I miss that part? That looks like so much fun. I would love to go to a haunted place like that. Do they let people stay there still?

I really like Erics hair cut! It looks SO good. And Hannah's of course does too.
That cinnamon place looks like so much fun for your mom. I bet she will really like it. I'm a little jealous of all the fun stuff she's already gotten to do. Sounds like a party!

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Just to clarify about the scary Stanley Hotel, they still operate it as a hotel and it is a busy active, pricey resort. The ghosts that visit it are friendly and come there because of their good, happy memories. There were no heinous crimes committed at the Stanley Hotel ever and so there are not horrible, scary murders there by spirits that are unable to pass on because of a terrible crime committed to them in their past. Then again, ghosts are ghosts and it would still be unnerving to witness any strange phenomenon, wouldn't it, even if it was a happy, friendly ghost? I would love to know what happened to Jim Carrey in Room 217!!

Kendi said...

Whoa that was a lot of pictures! Loved it.
I had no idea your mom was moving into a place???

Happy spring break for us this incredibly long weekend!!! Don't quite think ours will be as exciting as yours!

Paul and Joni said...

My favorite picture is the one with Eric and Hannah standing by room 418. Mike is posing as Frankenstien? behind them. Awesome.

Joni

Jenny Moore said...

That is very interesting!! Glad you had a great time...looks like fun!!