This was such a good week. I feel like the trauma from the events of early this year, and adjusting to a new mission and missing the old mission (and new friends made there) have finally settled down in my brain and in my soul and I felt (maybe for the first time in this mission so far) fully immersed in our assignment here. I have felt so lost and so far behind everyone else on our floor for a while now, but this week I actually started to fall into my niche as a family history library missionary and it made me so happy!
I have a new assignment as a reviewer, so now I am a trainer to help new missionaries learn the basics of how to serve on our floor and a reviewer of all new missionaries throughout the whole library who have to learn the basics of serving in the library. It doesn't mean I know everything about family history, quite the contrary really, but it does mean I get to help people find answers and figure things out and test their knowledge of things they have learned. I get to help them feel successful and that they can do this! I can do that because I was in their very shoes so recently! Friday, I got to do three reviews and I helped a sweet lady out on the floor gather family names to take to the temple. It was so rewarding and filled my soul with joy!
I felt like Friday was a perfect missionary day! I'm hoping and praying for that to be the new normal instead of feeling inadequate and insecure. I know that there's a learning curve in all new things and I hope that I'm finally beyond the new and frightening stage of this new experience and onto the rewarding stage of really helping others to feel the Spirit of Elijah in doing their family history work.
Friday night, was the frosting on the perfect day. We met our friends, Cindi and Jeff, halfway for both of us in Sandy and ate delicious burgers and sweet potato fries at the Habit. Then, we played Rook with them for a couple of hours in the restaurant! How fun is that? We did it another time at a pizza place and so now I guess it's becoming a Habit! No pun intended, haha! It really was such a fun evening! I highly recommend it and no we didn't take away a booth from other customers. We watched to be sure there were always other booths and tables available! ;)
Let's back up to Monday when we were in charge of our mission social group's FHE and we had a BBQ at the Rudy's house (Sherri and Bob have a house nearby). Everyone brought something and it was a big success. We had burgers, hotdogs, baked beans, chips and dips, watermelon, potato salad, brownies and homemade ice cream! It was a perfect summer BBQ! After dinner, we had a sing along with me and Sister Nelson playing our Ukuleles! I have learned a couple of songs and it was my first attempt to play for people and they were the perfect practice crowd! They were encouraging and so kind! Fun night with our fun mission friends!
This morning, we met my niece, Valerie, and her family outside the conference center and went to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's live broadcast. Did you know that they have the longest running live broadcast in the entire world? They are in their 90th year! It was awesome seeing this adorable family who we love so much and seeing this amazing broadcast. We know we are blessed to have this opportunity of living next door to Temple Square! We love seeing friends and family when they come to visit here and make time (even just a few minutes) to be with us.
| Daryl, Synjin, Valerie, Chance, Luke and Sebastian Schumann |
Saturday, Eric and I went to the Salt Lake County Parade of Homes! It was so fun being with him and seeing amazing houses, but it was way too hot and the air was way too smokey from the fires in Utah and I think from California as well. Pray for rain! Afterwards, we met Mike, Hannah, Chase and Violet at dinner at the Red Rock Restaurant in Fashion Place Mall. It was fun except I think the noise level was a bit much for Violet so they didn't get to stay too long. Next time, we decided to eat earlier and in a quieter place. The food was amazing though! Try the Bruchetta!
Other highlights of our week were spending sweet precious time visiting Hannah and Violet at their apartment after we attended the Salt Lake Temple on our short day at the library. We treasure every minute of this time here!
Also, going to the dentist is one of my least favorite things to do in this life, but this week was a treat to go because we got to have this cute dentist do our exams and teeth scraping (yuk)! Andy Ingersoll, Cindi and Jeff's oldest son, has joined the Pony Express dental practice in Daybreak and in Eagle Mountain. He saw us because we are family friends, but he's primarily doing pediatric dentistry. His little patients are lucky to have him as a dentist. He's very kind and gentle and really does a good job!
I'm looking forward to the week ahead! Today's talks in church were about repentance and forgiveness. They were so good. It's so important to keep ourselves right with the Lord and to always forgive others no matter what!
Here's one of Mike's favorite scriptures. It's a good one to live by!

No comments:
Post a Comment