I was given this assignment about a week ago and I'd like to share a couple of tender mercies from the Lord that I had this week in relation to this. On Wednesday night, just before going to sleep, I had a little moment of nervousness that I really wasn't capable of this and what was I doing here? I said a little prayer and was able to go to sleep. Thursday morning, I knelt by my bed and asked my Heavenly Father to please bless me to be able to help our new missionaries and to be able to answer their questions during my hour as their trainer.
Training was my first duty of the day. I put on a smile and a good attitude and went in ready to handle this. First tender mercy came when Sister Rol, one of our new senior sister missionaries from the Netherlands had some questions about the lesson she was working on. I had just looked at the lesson a few minutes before and I was actually able to answer her questions. She was so thankful and thanked me several times for helping her. She said she wasn't going to ask but just try to figure it out on her own, but decided to ask and was just so happy she did!! I, of course, recognized this as a direct answer to my morning prayer!!
Next tender mercy came when a worker came back to our training area looking for someone with copy machine knowledge. I knew the new missionaries wouldn't be able to help so I took a risk and went with him to take a look. Seriously, I was guided to know what to do and I was able to help him! He said to me, "You are a genius!" Ha ha! I was so grateful that I was able to help him. I told him that I had prayed to be able to answer people's questions and he told me I wasn't just a genius but an angel as well.
Final tender mercy came when I was out on the floor working on my own family history and one of my senior sister missionary friends, Sister Holm, asked me if I could help her a little bit with the line she was working on. I have been feeling fearful about helping people on the floor and this was a big chance for me to practice what I have been learning and working so hard at the past three months!! I worked with her for about 45 minutes and we were able to find what she was looking for in some U.S. Census records. She was absolutely thrilled to tears. She was surprised at how much I know, I surprised myself, but then, I give all the credit to being guided by the Holy Ghost. We call it the spirit of Elijah or help from the other side in doing this wonderful and important work of connecting families on both sides.
I was so blessed to have these tender mercies just exactly when I needed them. It made me feel confident and capable of doing the work the Lord has for me to do for the next nine months. I was on cloud nine as we drove to Provo to attend the graduation commencement ceremony for BYU!
ON APRIL 26, 2018, OUR TWO YOUNGEST CHILDREN, ERIC AND HANNAH, GRADUATED FROM BYU!
Commencement was held in the Marriott Center. We arrived early and were able to get great seats. There were 6300 graduates this year! One of the largest graduating classes in the history of BYU.
Here's Eric with his friend Amanda getting ready for the Processional walk from the Administration Building to the Marriott Center.
The graduates met in the parking lot of the Administration Building and the procession to the Marriott Center began at about 3:15 pm. We were able to watch them as they walked over on the big screen. It's hard to really capture the size of this graduating class in this picture but there were a lot of them.
BYU President, Kevin J. Worthen. He gave a great talk and quoted the words from the BYU College Song, (which I don't think I ever heard before).
COLLEGE SONG
All hail the College that we love
At the throne the throne of wisdom's sway,
O let us lift our songs above
The thronging multitude today.
No pride nor riches here may sue
The head the heart the hand united must be true.
Be true to thee our white and blue,
When they join our happy band
CHORUS:
Then cheer anew for the B. Y. U.
We've come to work to live to do.
We'll raise our standard, bear it through
Our hearts are true to the B. Y. U.
No college emblem half so sweet
As our colors pure and true,
No college banner that we greet
Like thee, our dear old white and blue.
No youth its beauty e'er denies
Such tho't no maid allows for blue is in her eyes,
For blue is in her eyes,
And of white her thoughtful brow.
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was the keynote speaker. All the talks were amazing, the messages meaningful and profound. The student speaker talked about the importance of being present. I loved how he stressed living in the present instead of dwelling on the past and past regrets or worrying about the future and also about being present in the present--without being so distracted by phones and social media.
Former Utah Governor Leavitt talked about a lesson he learned from his mother that has always stuck with him. She said, "Our self-esteem comes from serving others. We get our self-esteem and satisfaction from those we serve." I love that!!
Elder Holland said, "Love yourself last." "Honest living is often drowned out by the mistake of wanting more and more of the same that does NOT satisfy." "For what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul." "The world needs you." "You have entered to learn. Now go forth to serve." And my favorite, "If we cannot look to you to change the world and succeed, tell me to whom shall we look?"
After Commencement, we met Eric and he took us to his work at Vivint Smart Home in the Riverwoods Business Park in Provo. He graduated in Graphic Design and has gotten a wonderful job as a Graphic Designer. He loves his work and the people he works with . It is such a blessing! He has a beautiful office and an incredible setting with gorgeous mountain views.
Hannah decided to opt out of attending the graduation ceremonies. She didn't feel good about bringing Violet and she didn't want to be away from her for long periods of time. She is such a devoted and wonderful mom to her precious daughter. She graduated in the college of Family Life and seriously what better job could she have right now than that of wife and mother. She will pursue other goals later but for now, she is doing some very important work right within the walls of her own home!
We met Hannah, Chase and Violet near their new apartment and had a celebration dinner at the Cheesecake Factory! It was delicious. I declared then and there that I want my last meal on earth to include Avocado Eggrolls!! Seriously my favorite things in the world!
Our two BYU graduates! So pleased and proud of them both!
Friday, we arrived bright and early for Eric's Convocation ceremony at 8 a.m. in the De Jong Concert Hall. We have attended many operas and concerts over the past few year in this great place! It was so exciting watching Eric cross that stage and receive his diploma!
After the ceremony, we grabbed a bite to eat at a very popular spot on Provo's Center Street called, Hruska's Kolaches. They were delicious!
It was bittersweet leaving Provo. I love Provo and I love BYU! It is my Alma Mater and it holds many dear memories and tender feelings for me in my heart. I will miss our frequent trips here and I will miss these glorious mountains. I will miss JDawgs! I know there's one in Salt Lake too, but there's just something about the original one that I love. I love driving into Provo and seeing the Y on the mountain. I love the beauty and the peace I feel when I walk on campus. To me, it is a holy and sacred place and I love it with all my heart!
To be continued.....






No comments:
Post a Comment