Sunday, January 14, 2018

Week #25, Sao Paulo, Brazil, January 8-14, 2018

How do I describe how hard it is to get a text from my daughter who is 29 weeks pregnant and six thousand miles away saying she is in the hospital and has Preeclampsia?  Terrified; and immediately we start praying.  Praying for her and Chase and their tiny baby and the doctors and the hospital and for us, to know what to do and what to say and just how scared we should be.  We FaceTimed with her and Chase and found out as much as we could about the condition and then we prayed some more and now we wait and they wait and she rests and she will try to keep that little baby girl growing as long as possible without hurting her own body.  I think the best way to put into words is by using her own words from her Facebook and Instagram posts:

"Preeclampsia.  You can google it because I'm still figuring out what it is.  Yesterday I was sent straight from my regular appointment to the hospital because of a urine test and am being watched over 48 hours to see if I can be on bedrest at home or if I have to stay in the hospital, either way I'm on bedrest.  I feel perfectly normal so it's hard for me to wrap my head around, but things can change very quickly with this condition .  We want to keep baby cooking as long as possible but it could become dangerous for me so we will more than likely meet her sooner than we'd expected.  At 29 weeks right now she would almost certainly be okay, but it certainly isn't the way I planned things.  Crazy how quickly you can be reminded how little control we have in life, especially with birth.  My body truly doesn't feel like it belongs to just me anymore, but I am also so grateful for what it can do.  Also, grateful for my husband who effortlessly steps up and grows into his role as father each day and for everyone who has already reached out with their love."

She is so strong and so brave!  We love them so much and have faith that everything will work out.  They are in a great hospital and she's getting really good care.  We have to put things in the Lord's hands and try to not be afraid.  Please keep them in your prayers--Hannah, Chase, and baby girl!


Friday afternoon was the funeral of our Prophet and the President of our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Thomas Spencer Monson.  It was a beautiful service with beautiful music by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and talks by his daughter, Ann Monson Dibbs, and Presidents Uchtdorf, Eyring, and Nelson.  He was a remarkable man and will be greatly missed.


Mike and I finished the Book of Mormon in Portuguese on December 31, 2017!  We read the whole book cover to cover in Portuguese.  We are pretty happy with this accomplishment and think it helped keep us spiritually fed as well as to increase our comprehension of the language.  It is hard to learn this language, but each day we keep trying.  My Duolingo app says I am now 43% fluent.  That's kind of funny because I still don't really know what anyone is saying when they are talking to me, but I can pray in Portuguese and bear my testimony in Portuguese.  I can go to the store alone and come back with what I need!  I can order food at restaurants and I can ask people how they are doing pretty well!!  It's coming along but I'm pretty sure I will never be fluent.  Too old to memorize things very well but I think it's good for my brain to keep trying.  Mike is doing great and his Portuguese is much improved and he can get by really well.  I'm really proud of him!


Todd and Kimiko's baby Jordy is a week old and is doing great!  He is already smiling and has the sweetest little angel face!!




It's been a rough weekend with the news from Hannah, but we are hoping and praying for the best.  Life is full of trials and challenges and our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ promise to give us peace and help through it all.  I'm drawing on that promise and I'm grateful for the peace that this knowledge gives me.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

We will pray for Hannah, Chase and Baby. We went thru that experience right before the kids and I joined Jan in Colorado. Our daughter Nanika had preeclampsia and her baby arrived a month early. Her husband Chase was a great support also. The health of the mother remains precarious for a couple months after birth, so I hope Hannah is planning to take things very easy for a long while.
You are in our prayers! Thanks for all the great work you do to help so many!

Dorothy said...

Also will pray for this little family. Hannah has a spiritually mature grasp of the situation, and that is a big comfort for you.